Winter Clothing Grants
Connecticut winters can be frigid, but the Yale College Dean’s Office (YCDO) can offer Winter Clothing Grants to students with financial need, who are unfamiliar and underprepared for winter. These grants can help new low-income students who come from warm climates get winter basics (e.g. coat, boots, gloves) to manage the New England winter months.
In order to receive a Winter Clothing Grant worth up to $250, students must apply for funding through Safety Net. Your application will then be reviewed within two to five business days and, if approved, you will be connected with the Woodbridge Fellow to begin the clothing-ordering process. (Note: Applications for Winter Clothing Grants are highest in November, and might take longer than usual to be reviewed.)
Your funds can used in one of three ways:
- Online purchases made by and delivered to the Yale College Dean’s Office (located on the 2nd floor of 55 Whitney Ave.)
- Reimbursement through a petty cash voucher
- Note: Please refrain from making purchases until you are granted a Winter Clothing Grant and get official instructions on getting reimbursed. The Yale College Dean’s Office is not responsible for reimbursements of purchases made beforehand.
- Through a voucher letter that can be used at the local L.L. Bean (located at 272 Elm St.)
Winter clothing - preferential consideration for:
- High-need students unfamiliar with winter weather
- First and Second year students
- Students who were ineligible to receive a Start-Up Grant
For more information about dressing for winter, check out this Cheat Sheet created by The Community Initiative.
Requests Considered: October 1st - January 31st
- Note: These dates may change during the fall 2020 semester due to Covid-19.
In partnership with the Asian American Cultural Center at Yale (AACC, located at 295 Crown Street), the Community Initiative has developed the Career Closet, a source of professional clothing for students that need professional attire for interviews, receptions, and all other formal events.
For those interested in borrowing clothing from the Career Closet, please fill out the following Career Closet Request Form to set an appointment to browse through or pick up your items of interest. Please make all appointments at least 24 hours in advance.
- Note: Due to health concerns regarding Covid-19, the Career Closet will not be in operation during the fall 2020 semester.
The Dean’s Office has partnered with the Student Technology Collaborative (STC) to help address short term and longer term laptop needs for students. The student walk-in centers are available to address technology issues for students’ personal devices, including labor charge free repairs to laptops. For students requiring a longer term use of a computer (e.g. a semester) the Yale College Dean’s Office has laptops available for loan via the Yale SafetyNet request process. Students will generally receive a response within one business day with information about the details of their loan request.
- Note: Though the Loaner Laptop Program is still operating in the fall 2020 semester, distribution of laptops still needs to be worked out. More information will be available soon!
A limited amount of commencement caps and gowns are available for seniors to borrow at the Career Closet. More details to be announced February 2021.